Job Offer: Senior Residential Counselor - New Paltz:
The work we do changes lives.
Senior Residential Counselor - New PaltzPOSITION SUMMARY
The Senior Residential Counselor is an important member of the Residential Team. The Senior Residential Counselor provides quality care to residents, supports the Residential Manager in coordinating day-to-day operations of the residential program, and acts as the manager on duty as assigned and appropriate. The Senior Residential Counselor assists with ensuring the safe and therapeutic treatment of residents in conformity with Gateway’s goals and certifying/regulatory bodies including OMH/OPWDD/HUD.
Direct Service Responsibilities
• Record, monitor, and review Individual Service Plans/Residential Habilitation Plans for assigned caseload.
o Record Progress Notes on a monthly basis on Individual Service Plan goals and objectives as well as an overall description of residents’ progress or lack of progress in program.
o Carry out specific program activities with residents in conformity with the established Individual Service Plan
o Ensure provisions of care are directly related to the Individual Service Plan and individualized plan of nursing services for any resident that requires it including medication administration.
• Work with residents and assigned caseload on goals and everyday living expertise to foster growth and independence per Individual Service Plans
o Train, assist, and monitor residents in social expertise, personal budget development, preparation of weekly menu plans, food shopping, use of public transportation services, planning and implementing recreational activities or others areas needing assistance or support.
o Supervise residents in performing general housekeeping tasks to ensure household cleanliness and safe living environment. Provide assistance and training as needed.
o Provide necessary transportation when public transportation is not available.
o Conduct visits as scheduled with residents.
o Counsel residents during crisis situations as needed. Advise the Residential Manager of crisis situations and report incidents per agency and regulatory requirements.
o Observe and record in the log book and case notes unusual behavior, incidents, medical problems, upcoming appointments, and any changes in residents’ programs.
• Maintain all medical, financial, and program records for assigned caseload.
o Ensure that medical documentation for assigned residents are up to date and properly documented and stored per agency and regulatory policy and procedure.
o Monitor financial records for assigned residents. Assist residents with usage of funds and in following agency and regulatory guidelines. Reports issues to the Residential Manager.
o Ensure records for all assigned residents are kept up to date. Submit Progress Notes in a timely manner. Document, submit, and store any resident incident reports in appropriate location.
o Conduct Health & Safety Inspections and Fire Drills of residence. Report concerns to the Residential Manager.
• Assist with appropriate managerial tasks under the supervision of the Residential Manager and/or Director of Residential Services.
• Act as shift leader when on duty and model behavior for Residential Counselors
• Monitor everyday medication administration as assigned to ensure accuracy and report any issues to the Residential Manager.
• Assist with the everyday staff scheduling of the residential program. Assist the Residential Manager in finding staff coverage as assigned.
• Under the direction of the Residential Manager, assist with staff training and orientation of new hires.
• As assigned by the Residential Manager, complete Quality Assurance file checks to ensure resident and other needed documentation is up to date and properly stored. Notify the Residential Manager of any concerns.
• Assist the Residential Manager in obtaining needed day program and/or clinical services for residents.
• Assist with monthly billing as assigned and under the supervision of Residential Management.
Health, Safety, & Compliance
• Maintain a work environment in a clean, organized, and safe manner. Conduct everyday inspections of work areas to look for unsafe conditions
• Use all required safety devices and personal protective equipment. Train staff on all safe operating procedures and on the use of personal protective equipment
• Provide leadership abilities and positive direction necessary for maintaining a safe work environment.
• Actively participate in and support employee participation in health and safety practices and accident avoidance
• Ensure all accidents are reported to manager and Human Resources, thoroughly investigated, and properly documented. Investigate near-miss incidents to determine root cause to promote accident avoidance.
• Be familiar with the Health & Safety Program and abide by all safety and health rules, work practices, and regulations.
• Demonstrate positive work attitudes and habits. Act as a function model for success of staff and residents
• Maintain a clean and neat appearance consistent with agency standards and act as a function model
• Attend all required meetings and trainings
• Participate in training programs for professional growth as scheduled and approved
• Responsible for knowledge and adhering to Gateway Hudson Valley’s Corporate Compliance Policy and Standards of Conduct as well as all applicable program rules, regulations and policies. Keep abreast of any changes or modifications to policies or regulations. Ensure that all staff are knowledgeable of applicable regulations, laws, and policies
• Perform other tasks as assigned
• Associate’s Degree in human services related field.
• High School Diploma accepted.
• 2 years’ practice in Human Services field.
• 4 years’ related practice with High School Diploma.
Licenses / Certifications:
• CPR/First Aid
• Medication Administration (AMAP)
BONA FIDE WORKING CONDITIONS
• Must be able to sit or stand for up to 8 hours per day
• Must be able to bend at the waist or kneel occasionally (1-2 times per week)
• Must be able to bend and use hands, wrists, and fingers with full range of motion
• May occasionally be required to lift packages: 25-50 pounds as needed or occasionally (1-2 times per month)
• Must be able to execute CPR in emergency situation and for regular recertification
REGULATORY CLEARANCES REQUIRED:
• Must have a valid NYS Driver’s License and maintain a driving record which meets the insurable criteria of the Agency’s automobile insurance carrier
o Driver’s License Abstract
• Must have a favorable result from all state, federal, and agency mandated background checks
o New York State Justice Center Fingerprinting Criminal Background Check
o OWPDD MHL Abuse/Neglect History Check
o Statewide Central Registry Check
Affirmative Action & EEO Statement: It is the policy of Gateway Hudson Valley to provide equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, discapability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information or any other protected characteristic under applicable law. This policy relates to all phases of employment, including, but not limited to, recruiting, employment, placement, promotion, transfer, demotion, reduction of workforce and termination, rates of pay or other forms of compensation, selection for training, the use of all facilities, and participation in all company-sponsored employee activities. Provisions in applicable laws providing for bona fide occupational qualifications, business necessity or age limitations will be adhered to by the company where appropriate.
As part of the company’s equal employment opportunity policy, Gateway will also take affirmative action as called for by applicable laws and Executive Orders to ensure that minority group individuals, females, disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, other protected veterans, Armed Forces service medal veterans, and qualified disabled persons are introduced into our workforce and considered for promotional opportunities.